Thursday, February 22, 2007

Diet Pepsi doesn't taste like Diet Coke

But the rest of this post has to do with music and beautiful boys.

I finally received the CDs I ordered from Amazon. The Dresden Dolls, Dresden Dolls. Franz Ferdinand, You Could Have It So Much Better. And 30 Seconds to Mars, A Beautiful Lie. While the Dresden Dolls are beyond awesome and Amanda Palmer is one of my new heros in life, the rest of this post won'te be about them.

I have to confess, one of the main reasons I ever gave 30 Seconds to Mars a chance is because Jared Leto is a beautiful, beautiful creature. A listen and a half through a A Beautiful Lie, I am happy to report that he sings quite nicely and 30 Seconds to Mars as convinced me that they are probably indeed more than a run of the mill emoesque band.

I'm not however quite as in love with 30 Seconds to Mars as I am with a Russian group. I was listening to Наше Радио online a month or so ago and heard this absolutely beautiful song, and low and behold I could understand the lyrics in the chorus well enought to scribble it down on a piece of paper. I wanted more! Several failed google runs and a trip to the LJ Learn Russian community, and I had the name of the group. Провода doesn't appear to have released an album yet (I could be wrong, I haven't felt like spending the amount of quality time with my Russian-English dictionary that I would need to translate all the news on their site.), but that's okay, because they are streaming their music on their site. And it's good stuff. Good in the way that has me dancing and singing lyrics I don't understand for the most part in the college computer lab.

So what does that have to do with beautiful boys. Well, since I'm a first-class geek, I also found myself at youtube pulling up Provoda videos. The lead singer, Tim, is a handsome young thing. As proof I embed this video, which I can't decide if I like or am throughly distrubed by, what with young women in black body paint wandering about.



Pretty, no?

So anyway, while I'm feeling guilty about ordering the 30 Seconds to Mars album mostly because I like Jared Leto's face, I realize that he and Tim look a lot alike. Then I realized that Alexander Kapranos, from Franz Ferdinand, also rather closely resembles both the other guys.

So, apparently, the best way to get me to buy a CD is to have a lead singer with certain facial type. High cheekbones, rather round eyes. (Yeah, my powers of description could use a bit of work.) Either that or have a monopoly on awesome, like the Dresden Dolls.

Oh, and Franz Ferdinand's video for "Walk Away" is all kinds of awesome. Yes, I know I'm a year or so behind the rest of the world.

No comments: