Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bad Language! Bad, bad language!

No cookie for you, English.

Holy Fools. Fools for Christ. Holy Foolishness. Etc. Etc. and so on and so forth.

You see, I would presume, how these are not good terms. Especially for net and database searches. What with different people using different versions and making up their own and making me sad.

Russian has a nice, concise word for this amorphous-in-English concept: юродство / yurodstvo.

This proves (at least until I change my mind) that Russian is a superior language.

Shame on you, English.

And, I have reminded myself why I don't like donut holes. Oh, well, college campus -- they shan't go to waste!

3 comments:

Dw3t-Hthr said...

Fear not! A solution exists!


"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James Davis Nicoll

WordK said...

That's glorious! :)

Dw3t-Hthr said...

James is quite amused by the number of different people that line has been attributed to. (He's a great guy, and is amused to be taken for Booker T. Washington and the like.)

Meanwhile, my thought on the way home which I of course had to come right over and share:

"Fools walk were angels fear to tread; this is why God so loves the yurodstvoi."